McLean, Virginia

When I last left you, the Sullivan crew was leaving Milford. If you remember, we were sent off in true New England fashion: 35 degrees and rainy. That weather kept up all the way through New York and finally let up somewhere in New Jersey. This part of the trip wasn’t very exciting because we’ve driven the East Coast from Boston to New York so many times. Trev elected to take the first shift because he was finally able to drive again and I was thankful for it.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

We had originally planned to leave Massachusetts on Sunday but decided to leave a day early. We were staying with my cousin, Dave, and his family in McLean, VA, which is just outside of Washington D.C. Dave plays drums in a band and they had a gig Saturday night. Trev and I had never had the opportunity to see him play, so we decided to try to hit the road a day early. We got there just in time to get settled and ride over to the club with Dave’s wife, Pam. It was a lot of fun and a nice way to unwind after a long day of driving. The band, Curtis Knocking, was great and I got to spend some time catching up with my cousin Sam. I also saw a bride in her wedding dress, smoking an e-cigarette in the bathroom. Totally normal, right?

Curtis Knocking at the Tortoise & Hare Bar & Grill in Arlington

The next day, we went to a field down the street so my cousin, Lily, could fly a kite they had bought in China. I can’t remember the last time I flew a kite. It was really fun and relaxing, especially after the crazy couple of days we’d just had. It was nice just to be able to be outside. After we did some kite flying (and untangling) we went for a hike in the woods behind their house. They have the greatest hike through their neighborhood along a pretty stream. I had hiked it once before, but Trev had never been. We also took Hobbes along for the walk. He took a swim and made a friend. All in all, a big success.

The outdoors and the exercise were good for us all. I forgot to mention this in my last post, but I also got sick on Thursday before we left. I think this day outside was just what I needed because I started feeling better the next day. It’s amazing what some warm weather can do!

That night we all went out for a great dinner at a local Greek place and then Dave drove us around D.C. Trev had wanted to see the CIA building, which is right in McLean, and we unwittingly drove right up to the gate! A sign let us know we were being recorded (aren’t we always?), so we promptly left. Dave took us to see the Pentagon and a few other D.C. landmarks. It’s a beautiful city and I’m not sure if I’d ever driven around at night. It was a great way to cap off our short stay.

We had to take off early the next morning, so I’m glad we were able to get to Virginia a day early. It was so much fun catching up with family and starting our adventure in a place (and with people) we know and love.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


One thought on “McLean, Virginia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s